Laptops have become a vital tool for both business and personal use, and the portability of laptops makes them extremely convenient. However, we should always be aware of the security risks from the loss or theft of laptops and take proper precautions. The potential loss is twofold: the loss of the laptop itself, and the loss of any personal, private, or sensitive information that it contains.
Laptops can easily be stolen from the locked trunk of a car, at an airport security checkpoint, at an Internet cafe, or even from a hotel room.
Security Tips When Traveling with Your Laptop
- Install tracking software on your laptop.
- Back up all of your files regularly.
- Do not leave your laptop at an unsecured location.
- Do not store passwords with your laptop.
For more information:
- U.S.-CERT Security Tip: Protecting Portable Devices: Physical Security
- U.S.-CERT Security Tip: Protecting Portable Devices: Data Security
Cyber Tip of the Day from the Multi-State Sharing and Analysis Center (MS-ISAC)