Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to have a physical office?
Chad Burton, CEO of CuroLegal and founder of Burton Law answers the question “Do I have to have a physical office?” as well as what to consider when deciding between a physical office or a virtual office.
Do I have to hire support staff right away? Or can I go solo?
Liz McCausland, Owner of Liz McCausland, P.A., discusses considerations to make when deciding to hire support staff for your new practice.
How do I establish an Interstate Law Practice? What are some Pitfalls to avoid?
The Florida Bar Ethics Department’s Informational Packet – Interstate Law Firms contains the ethics opinions relating to a”foreign” firm operating a Florida office. The principle point is contained in Consolidated Opinions 77-7, 77-9 and 77-10 which says that the interstate firm’s Florida office must be operated by a resident Florida attorney who is a bona fide partner in the out-of-state firm.
With regard to the opening of the branch office, the Practice Resource Institute’s (PRI) website has a wealth of helpful information, including but not limited to the New Law Practice/New Office Checklist which will lead you through the recommended steps. As the checklist suggests, the Florida Bar member attorney may be able to take advantage of the member benefit provided by Corporate Creations. This organization may be able to provide significant discounts and important guidance in the proper set-up and registration of your firm’s new office.
Also, read this article which discusses the types of entities available to Florida firms. Florida Statutes Chapter 621 covers Professional Services Corporations and Professional Limited Liability Companies.
- How do I attract my first client?
Featured New Practice Courses
New Practice News
- Answers to Common Legal Malpractice Insurance Questions
- The Virtual Law Practice: The Future is Now
- Starting Your Own Practice Out of Law School
- YLD website details how to start your own law firm
- How to Start a Thriving New Solo Practice
- Selecting a Firm Name
- Selecting a Business Entity for Your Law Practice
- How I Started My Own Law Firm Right After School
New Practice Resources
- NEW LAW PRACTICE // NEW OFFICE CHECKLIST
- CHECKLIST FOR STARTING A LAW PRACTICE
- My colleague and I want to start a new firm, with different areas of practice. What do we do to get started?